The Metacomet Golf Club was incorporated a century ago by five Rhode Island Businessmen. The playing grounds were in the Rumford section of East Providence.
As for the name, Metacomet Golf Club, it was the fashion at the turn of the century for golf clubs organizing in New England to select Native American names. Metacomet was a great Native American Chief of the Wampanoag Tribe, a friend of the Pilgrim settlers of the 17th century and became known as King Phillip after he succeeded his father as leader of the Wampanoag tribe.
The original Metacomet was six holes and then increased to nine holes on what is now the southern section of the Agawam Hunt Club. There were no plans for a clubhouse when Metacomet was founded. Members met under an old grape arbor and hung their clothes on a hickory limb before venturing out on the rudimentary golf course. In 1901, it was proposed by the House Committee that there should be more suitable accommodations. Over the decade following, expansion of the clubhouse took place.